Dining Room Changes

I guess you can say that every room in this house is going through a change

in that there is a room with less. Less items to create a more spacious feel

and then there is the more . . . taking things away means more to pack away.

Speaking of less, I will be keeping the centerpiece on the dining room table simple.

However, simple does not mean you cannot have a bit of elegance too.

Today I present my dining room changes, starting with the simple, yet elegant centerpiece.

Orchid in Blue and White-Housepitality Designs

What says simple elegance none other than an orchid.

I placed two orchids from Trader Joe’s in this pretty blue and white cache pot

that I found at my favorite consignment shop about a month ago.

I knew exactly what I was going to do with it the moment I spotted it.

In the bay window area, were two chairs and vintage pie crust table.

Blue and White Sugar Bowl-Housepitality Designs

Those pieces were replaced with the long narrow table that was formerly in the Great Room.

So two chairs, a table, and a set of stacking tables were banished from the dining room.

Blue and White-Dining Room-Housepitality Designs

My vintage blue and white chintz sugar bowl remains on the table.

I found this sugar bowl last year at an antique shop while visiting my friend

Linda (Lulu Musings) last year at her beautiful home in Maine.

The blue and white vintage casserole dish is from my friend Martha.

It was her hubby’s mother’s dinnerware.

Dining Room-Ironstone-Housepitality Designs

I know when you are staging your home to place it on the market,

you are to keep the furnishings and decor as simple as possible.

I am trying, but I have decided that I am keeping the things that I enjoy

on display as I enjoy happy and pretty in my environment.

Dining Room decor-Housepitality Designs

If we were staying in this house, there definitely would be a window seat built

in this bay window area. Maybe in the next house!

Dining Room Bay Window-Housepitality Designs

Bay Window Area-Dining Room-Housepitality Designs

I go back and forth on a decision to have a formal dining room in the next house.

I am leaning toward having one, but then again, do I want that space for another purpose?

Do I have a space that will serve as an informal dining area off the kitchen

or a formal dining room that gets used maybe a few times a year? What do you think about this?

Dining Room-Housepitality Designs

The large designated breakfast room in my house has been used as my sunroom

and we use our dining room which is adjacent to the kitchen every day.

Dining Room-Housepitality Designs

I have been super busy working on this house and for all the items I remove

pack away or relocate there seems to be more of the same to do.

I always end my post with wishing you all a most beautiful day

and today is a beautiful day as it is our Anniversary. Yes, number 47 to be exact.

Time flies when you are having fun!

My hubby makes me laugh every day. And speaking of love and laughter . . .

check out this fun photo. It’s an oldie but a goodie!

I decided that I will not only show you a photo of us on our wedding day,

but us with our parents.

Sadly, we lost my hubby’s parents and my dad. My mom is the only surviving parent.

Our Wedding Day-Housepitality Designs

We treasure my mom every day and so miss those who are no longer with us.

Now, just look at her in that cute hat!   She loves hats!

So I leave you today with my wish to you for a most beautiful day.

We will be celebrating our Anniversary by going out with our family to one of our

favorite restaurants that so happens to be my Sweetie’s too … my little  Sweetie that is!

Comments

1. I love the wedding pic! Best design pic of all! I also like reading ur blog. Very enjoyable.

2. Love the changes. Happy happy anniversary and I love the photo!! Fun seeing y’all in your youth and your mom whom I have had the pleasure of meeting. Your dad was quite handsome.
    Kim’s recent post…The Softer Shades of Summer Guest BedroomMy Profile

3. Shirley, I love, love, love the wedding photo! Happy 47th Anniversary you two and wish you many more! Your dining room changes look fabulous. I agree I have to have my stuff I love in my environment. Since you are building your last house, do what you want as far as a formal dining room. If I didn’t use it that often, you might use the space for another purpose! Wishing you a most beautiful day and celebration!
    Pam Richardson’s recent post…Tablescape Tuesday: A Star Spangled EveningMy Profile

4. Happy Anniversary Shirley and Hubby and many more!!!

5. Merry Pierson says:

Shirley, Happy Anniversary to you guys! I love the picture. That is the first time i’ve seen a pic of Tom’s parents…Love it
    Merry

6. HAPPY Anniversary to you and Tom and many more!!!!! I LOVE the wedding photo, how priceless. I TOTALLY agree with what you are doing regarding staging. Keep what you love to be surrounded with. I wish I had NOT listened to our stager. Your home will sell in a heartbeat. I love the dining room look. As for a formal dining room, I only wish ours was bigger as we can only SQUUEZE 8 people in there so it is too small to have the family in there for holidays. IF we have a holiday here we have to go downstairs. Think about how you would use it.XO, Pinky
    Pinky’s recent post…Nesting at the Table!My Profile

7. Happy Anniversary! We have a dining room that we use every day because we do not have an eat in kitchen. Our last house did not have a dining room and we used the kitchen and I hated it. I love having a special room that I can fuss over and make beautiful before, during and after dinner. I am hoping we will be downsizing soon too but I HAVE to have a dining room. Please keep posting about simplifying your home. I can use all the help I can get.

8. Happy Anniversary! I love seeing your lovely dining room too. A simple orchid always looks elegant! Enjoy your day!
    Shelley

9. I love orchids and they look wonderful in the blue and white pot. We are having a formal dining room in our new house and a very small eat in area in the kitchen. We entertain a lot and I a messy cook, so I would prefer dining in a room away from the kitchen. Tried the open concept at the last house and did not like it.
    Penny at Enjoying The Simple Things’s recent post…The Process of Having A House Built, Post 14My Profile

You must have been a child bride, to have been married 47 years! Love the wedding pic…treasured memories. Your dining room looks fresh…lovely. We very rarely use our dining room, because we have an eat-in kitchen. I could do without a dining room if we were to downsize….I’d just make sure the eating area was large enough to accommodate an adjustable table. Enjoy your happy day! 😉

11. I love the changes you’ve made, Shirley! It looks amazing. Happy, happy anniversary. Ironically, my parents anniversary is today, too – 36 years! Have a wonderful day ~
    Design Chic’s recent post…In Good Taste: Kathleen Rivers Interior DesignMy Profile

12. Susan Smith says:

Happy Anniversary! And many more happy years together!

13. Happy Anniversary! I must tell you that I think your Dad resembles Frank Sinatra a little bit. Your home looks lovely and I especially love the orchids in that blue bowl!

14. Happy Anniversary…a lovely post…made me smile…so full of hope and love and light. 🙂

15. Yes, simple but elegant is what it is! I would have a dining room just for the fact I could use for whatever…its your last home. Happy Anniversary! Love the photo….

16. Your home is so lovely it is going to sell quickly for sure! Love your wedding picture and Happy 47th!!!
    KATHYSUE’s recent post…What Do I Want To Look Like?My Profile

17. Happy anniversary. Enjoy!

18. Your dining room looks lovely. You’ve got some really lovely pieces. Wishing you a Happy Anniversary! Ours will be 49 in August. It’s true what the say, “time flies when you’re having fun!
    Carol, The Red Painted cottage’s recent post…Did You Know…My Profile

19. Linda Ramsey says:

Happy Anniversary Shirley & Tommy! Seem’s like yesterday we were in the halls of Carol City Sr High, class of 1969. This is my 44th year in November. May you & Tommy be blessed with many more years of love & happiness. Your room looks lovely.

20. Congratulations! What an awesome inspiration, these days it is huge to have so many years together, Shirley. May you and Tom be blessed with many, many more sweet years together in happiness.

I love your house. I don’t have a dining room, at all. And I miss it greatly!! Maybe a separate space off the kitchen would work, for me, I’m always dreaming of a room totally and only used for dining.
    Lidy@Frenchgardenhouse.com‘s recent post…OUTDOOR ENTERTAINING TIPSMy Profile

21. Happy Anniversary Shirley! Wishing you many more!

I so miss having a dining room and I would have another in a heartbeat if I had the room!
    Mary’s recent post…25+ Patriotic Treats for Your Star-Spangled Celebration!My Profile

22. I hope you are having fun with all your new looks. So far you are doing a great job paring down. As for dining room, it comes in handy for a crowd but for small gatherings, it’s not a must. The open concept kitchen/eating area is a great option.
    Linda’s recent post…Garden BountyMy Profile

23. Cindy in Oklahoma says:

Congratulations, Shirley! Our 44th is next month so I feel a kinship of sorts…. It takes a lot of love to get past the inevitable bumps along the way. Wishing you many many more happy years together.

24. Barbara says:

Today is our anniversary, too! We have always had a dining room until this home. Now we have a large open area where one end is designated the morning room (with a fireplace), the center area is dining, and the other end is the gathering room. We love it!

25. Happy 47th… How lovely… It all came together perfectly…
    lorb’s recent post…Saying Goodbye…My Profile

26. Happy Anniversay, Shirley! Thank you for sharing your wedding photo-so beautiful!

27. Shirley: Hope your anniversary was lovely. I am sure your wedding photo is a treasure to you.

Your home is beautiful. All your efforts of sorting through and rearranging will bring you rewards in the end. I am in love with your blue chintz sugar bowl – the shape of it is so pretty.

It is hard to make the decision regarding a dining room. Personally, I feel you may miss your dining room. Especially during the holidays. I have had both and missed the dining room. For me, it was like something was missing.

Have a great weekend !
    Sandra at Maison De Jardin’s recent post…Color Your World !My Profile

28. Happy 47th anniversary! What a beautiful wedding picture! I love all you are doing to make your home ready to sale. But I agree about keeping the things you love around you. I know the stagers say to remove family photos but I never could remove all of mine! I was so surprised that most replies were in favor of a formal dining room as I lean toward not having one. However, you have so many beautiful items that I could see and you needing one. Wishing dear friends many more years of love and happiness!

29. Happy anniversary Shirley! Your dining room looks gorgeous!!
    Jenna’s recent post…Recipe Box, Zucchini & Corn Enchiladas or Creamy Zucchini & Corn CrepesMy Profile

30. Shirley, Happy Anniversary! You looked beautiful then and still look beautiful now! Your Mom is too cute in her hat! Love it! Your dining room is so lovely! In the new house, I vote dining room. I’m a traditional Southern girl; so I will always have a formal dining room! Have a lovely rest of the week! Happy Summer! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

31. bobbi duncan says:

Shirley, my very best wishes for a lovely 47th. There is nothing that compares with a couple that truly are in love with each other–magical! You two look so adorable in your wedding picture. I love your cache pot with it’s unique rope design on the bottom and scalloped top edge –beautiful!

32. bobbi duncan says:

Got so carried away looking at that centerpiece that I forgot to answer your question about the open concept. If the dining room looks like the one you have now, with the lovely trim moldings, it already looks formal and the open concept then truly can serve as both a kitchenette and formal dining room. I think it’s all in the design of the room and how you decorate it and, lets face it, you know how to create a beautiful home! I can’t wait to see your new place. I know I’ll come away with so many great ideas for our own home.

33. LInda Hickey says:

Hi, I was looking at your wedding picture. You look just like the young lady in my wedding picture. I’m just wondering if you are her. She played the piano at my husband and my wedding. This was in 1971 at New Light Baptist Church in Alpharetta, Georgia. In Forsyth county. You were a very lovely bride in your photo here. Please let me know if this is you or not. If so I will share the photo I have with you. But you look just like her.

34. Karenann says:

Your dining room looks so stunning! I love all the elegant and subtle details. The orchid looks lovely on your table, and I love all the other accents in the room as well. Your wedding photo is beautiful. All of you look so happy! It is so nice to think back on that day, especially on your anniversary! Happy Anniversary and enjoy your celebration!