How I Gave One Area Three Different Looks

I finally undecorated the large great room tree and the space always looks so different after the

tree is removed. The item that was previously in the space found its way back; however, me, being me,

could not leave it alone.

I started experimenting with some different looks.

Antique French Commode-Housepitality Designs

Today, you will see how I gave this area three different looks.

I started by moving the antique French Commode that was in the Great Room, to this space.

Antique French Commode-Housepitality Designs

This area is right off the foyer next to the stairwell.

The antique French Commode fits very well in this space, however, I am not quite sure if this

is the look I want.

Antique French Commode/Ironstone-Housepitality Designs

I kept the vignette pretty much the same, using vintage ironstone and great vintage books.

A plant has taken the place of the lamp.

Black and gold painted plant stand-Housepitality Designs

I guess I need to show you what was there before!

A pretty black and gold planter that I purchased from The Bombay Company years ago.

Black and gold planter-Housepitality Designs

Black and gold planter-Housepitality Designs

Faux ferns fill the planter and I find many people touching these to see if they are indeed real.

The stairwell wall is going to get a bit of a makeover, so I thought I needed a change in this

area too!

Antique Split Oak Bench-Housepitality Designs

Can you guess the next item I am experimenting with for this space?

Antique Split Oak Bench-Housepitality Designs

Yes, the vintage split oak bench that was in my dining room bay window area.

Antique Split Oak Bench-Housepitality Designs

I added my antique French boot forms and a demijohn next to the bench for a little more interest.

Antique Split Oak Bench-Housepitality Designs

So what do you think? . . . Which look would you choose? Do you prefer the original look of the

gold and black planter, or the vintage appeal of the split oak bench?

My hubby gave his thumbs up for the vintage bench. I am leaning that way too.

Which look is your favorite?

Have a great day hopefully filled with sunshine both from the sun and from the heart.

Comments

1. I love all three looks, Shirley! What a lovely spot too! Hope you’re doing well.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia 😉
    Shelia’s recent post…Thank You From My HeartMy Profile

2. Sandra white says

Love the look of the bench….just gorgeous!

3. Def the bench! Love it.

4. Amy Kaminski says

I like all three looks, but I like the bench for this time of year with that lovely bird pillow. Lends itself to a bit of a winter look. I really enjoy your blog and read every day 🙂

5. I like the look of the bench, too.
    Kim’s recent post…Wow Us Wednesdays #205My Profile

6. I like the bench look, and that bird pillow has a wintery look.
    Lori from LL Farm’s recent post…Small Bathroom ShowersMy Profile

7. The three looks are all great but, I’m also leaning towards the bench!

8. I guess I will be different…..I love the look of the black planter.

9. I think the bench is my favorite look, Shirley. They all look nice however.

Hope your week is going well.

Hugs,
    Cecilia
    Cecilia’s recent post…Fireplace MantelMy Profile

10. I love the bench vignette too! The boot forms and demijohn sell it to me! I would never be able to use a bench at a stair rail for fear that my grandchildren would use the bench to look over the railing and I’d always worry about them falling… Can you tell I have a fear of heights??? As a second choice I like the planter.

11. Nice job! #2 is my fave. xox
    Anne@DesignDreams’s recent post…DIY Removable Custom Dishwasher PanelMy Profile

12. I love all three but I am agreeing with Glenda; I love the look of the black planter. The ferns are beautiful, I would love to have them in my home. I enjoy your blog and your home is beautiful.

13. Bench gets my vote, too, especially with how you have it all sooooo cozy there. BUT now you will also have fun playing with the window area in the dining room to replace the bench.

14. I would have a hard time choosing but I like the bench. But now you have three lovely choices you can switch out.

15. All three are stunning. I would use all three at various times when I wanted a change. Love that planter and the bench is perfect. Fabulous boot forms.
    Marty@A Stroll Thru Life’s recent post…How To – Design A Special Custom Looking PillowMy Profile

16. The bench looks like it was made for that spot, Shirley. It shows beautifully there! Love the added boot forms and demijohn.
    Mary Alice
    Mary Alice Patterson’s recent post…Is My Living Room Looking More Like Spring?My Profile

17. Linda miller says

I agree with Tom. The bench gets my vote. It looks perfect there.

18. The bench gets my vote. I love that look!

19. Nan, Odessa, DE says

The bench is a better fit and look.
    The commode is lost in the wide a space.
    Just my opinion!

20. All three are very pretty but the bench is my favorite too!
    ~Des
    Des’s recent post…New slip covered chairs for the living room…….My Profile

21. All the looks are great, but I love the vintage split oak bench the best!
    Penny @ the comforts of home’s recent post…Pasta!My Profile

22. Deborah Jackovitch says

Love all three. Think I prefer the plant stand though. Keep in mind if you have any little ones visiting, the bench could pose a potential safety issue. A child could easily stand up on the bench and leaning over to look down the stairwell lean too far and fall. I am thinking as a mother of boys and aunt to many boys..LOL

23. Sharon Avinger says

My favorite is the planter with the greenery. Simple and just what that small area needs.

24. I like the look of the planter with the ferns; however, all of the ideas are beautiful. You have a wonderful eye for decorating.

25. Gosh, I like both of them! But, since you’re wanting a change, I think the bench would be nice. It looks like a perfect fit.

26. I love the look of the bench also and the demijohn sitting beside is the icing on the cake!

27. Fonda Rush says

I think the visually heaviest item should go there, otherwise, all you see are spindles and legginess. Perhaps something even heavier would add more coverage, like a small dresser, and would make more of an impact – something that would completely cover the spindles. Of the three you posed, I think the bench is best (since we won’t be looking from floor level but down on it).

28. Like them all, but my favorite is the bench, next the planter!

29. Linda Kemp says

I love the first one as that goes so well with the beautiful sconces and plates in your entryway. Of course, they all look lovely.

30. Your planter was my first choice….until I saw the bench! Looks great! 😉

31. They are all great but, I like the bench. Have fun.
    Mary
    Mary W. Ferguson’s recent post…LOOKING & SHOPPING ALL OVER ORANGE COUNTYMy Profile

32. I love them all and the faux ferns do look real! However, my favorite is the bench!

33. LOVE the bench there. It just FITS the space so well. Let us know what you keep!!!
    Pinky at Designs by Pinky’s recent post…Breakfast Room ChangesMy Profile

34. How about the bench with some faux greens? I love the bench!

35. Shirley I can’t decide between the bench and the plant stand…love them both!!
    martina’s recent post…Sofa Table MakeoverMy Profile

36. Great looks, Shirley! I do love that planter. I should have known it was from Bombay; I seem to be drawn to their stuff still (even though they are gone here)! I also love the bench look, too. Maybe it is the width to both those looks?
    Kathy @ Creative home expressions’s recent post…Under ConstructionMy Profile

37. I like either the bench or the bombay piece. Although the small table is pretty, I think the legs compete with the
    stair spindles 🙂

38. What is not to like, your house is absolutely beautiful and filled with wonderful treasures that have been carefully collected!
    Pat @ Life At lydias House’s recent post…Repurposed Chicken Coop TableMy Profile

39. The planter is my favorite. It’s a beautiful piece, and I love the look with the ferns.

40. It’s hard to decide, I love all three so much. I think I like the planter with the fern. It just looks perfect in that space, but all are equally perfect. What can I say, I can’t decide. You are just too good at what you do.

41. I like the bench, but I like them all! How fun to keep changing it up!
    Jenna’s recent post…Tablescapes, Sweetheart CottageMy Profile

42. Shirley, the three looks were definitely gorgeous! My top pick would be the first one. I’ve saved this in my pocket. I loved how the area looked so modish.
    lauren’s recent post…Really Want To Redecorate Your Home? 6 Pros and ConsMy Profile

43. I think I’ll go with the bench… Even though the planter also look great in that spot. It’s just difficult to choose…
    LorB’s recent post…Six Word Saturday: Butterflies Wandering from Plant to Plant…My Profile