Vintage Fall Vignette and Hickory Cottage Update

Hello Dear Readers!

Again, I am reaching into the archives

and thought I would bring to you a vintage fall vignette

that I created a few years ago, when finding some great items

while shopping with my friend Mary Alice in Leesburg, Virginia.

The vignette started with a vintage Borden’s crate.

I have never seen a Borden’s Condensed Milk wooden crate before,

so it had to come home with me.

I knew I wanted to incorporate it in my Fall decor.

So here again, a Vintage Fall Vignette and a Hickory Cottage update.

Vintage Fall vignette - Housepitality Designs

Vintage Fall Vignette - Housepitality Designs

My friend knew that my hydrangeas did not bloom that year,

so she gifted me with these gorgeous dried hydrangeas

from her pretty shrubs. I was beyond thrilled!

Vintage Fall Vignette - Housepitality Designs

Vintage ironstone will hold the plush velvet pumpkins.

I love this color!

Vintage Fall Vignette - Housepitality Designs

My granddaughter especially loves the orange one

as the stem looks like a dragon!

Vintage Fall Vignette - Housepitality Designs

Vintage books for elevating, showcasing, texture and warmth.

Fall Vintage Vignette - Housepitality Designs

Vintage Fall Vignette - Housepitality Designs

Vintage Fall Vignette - Housepitality Designs

A mini velvet pumpkin sits on top of a vintage creamer

and a vintage french book that was given to me

by the cutest French antique shop owner in Normandy, France.

. I remember asking him how much it was as it had no tag on it,

he smiled and said it’s for me! A great memory!

Vintage Fall Vignette - Housepitality Designs

So it now sits on top the the vintage  bamboo stool,

another great find on that trip.

They were meant to be together.

Vintage Fall Vignette - Housepitality Designs

It was a glorious day that day to  create a Fall vignette

with temps in the high 60’s.

A pleasant surprise when I opened to the doors that day

to the porch with my coffee in hand.

Vintage Fall Vignette - Housepitality Designs

And now on to  several photos I snapped with my iPhone

of the Hickory Cottage progress.

I felt well enough to visit the house with friends

who stopped by on their way home from leaf peeping

in the North Carolina mountains.

When we drove up to the house this is what I saw.

It’s hard with all the construction going on

to get a picture of just the house.

The copper flashing was placed on the roof last week.

The trim carpenters have been at the house all week

and they probably will be there all next week too

as there is lots of trim work to do.

As you can see I love an archway.

There are three archways that separate

the great room from the sunroom.

Now moving on to the master bathroom and closet.

This is the door that leads to the master closet.

I did not want a solid door.

I wanted a very light,  airy look, especially,

when there were two doors adjacent to each other.

So french doors they are, which will have

sheered curtains on them.

The carpenters have started the rough trim work

on all the closets.  This is our master closet.

There will be a little bench under the window.

Lots of shelves for shoes and purses.

Very important…right?!!

The island in the closet will be our “packing station”

I have always wanted one that I could place my suitcase on

and pack it right in the closet.  The open end of the island

will store our favorite go to suitcases.

The other side of the islandhas convenient drawers.

My hubby is going to install a retractible pole

so that I can grab clothes

and hang them on the pole to coordinate outfits to pack. 🙂

Here’s the mud bench in the laundry room.

I can’t wait to see it all done.

I have treatment #4 on Tuesday, so I am coming into

the home stretch.  3 down, 3 to go.

They eliminated one of the estrogen blockers

that made me so sick and dehydrated.  It has been better!

Again, I want to thank all of my family, friends and blog friends

for their tremendous support.  There’s hardly a day

that goes by that I don’t receive

a card or a goodie, that includes thoughtful gifts and meals.

And a very special thank you to my dear hubby

who has been at my side the entire time.

He makes sure that I get the right nourishment to keep me going

and to keep up my levels.

We have learned a lot on this journey.

I think he knows more about Breast Cancer

than I do!

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart….I am truly blessed!

Have a most beautiful day doing the things you love

with the ones you love.

Comments

1. Shirley, I always loved this fall vignette, so I am happy to see it again along with pictures of the Hickory Cottage. I love the copper flashing, roof color and and all the great trim work, The arches are beautiful! As you begin the home stretch of chemo, I hope this new home will bring you happy thoughts and something to look forward to! You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs and blessings to you, my special friend.❤️ 🙏

2. Shirley, what a wonderful surprise to hear from you today. I’m grateful you are halfway through your treatment and tolerating it better now. Your home will be a welcome respite for you when complete, and an environment to hopefully heal and inspire great things in the near future. Revisiting your fall arrangement is like a visit to a favorite antique store. I love all the details of the old made new with your styling. Continued thoughts of positive energy are on my mind for you!

3. Alice genzlinger says

So happy to see your post today and the update on your treatment and the cottage. The best update is on your hubby, that he has been so supportive through this journey and that you are on the downside of the treatments. God is so good in finding just the right partner for us to get through the good times and bad. The cottage is already beautiful even not completed. Just keep up your faith and give God the credit when it’s over. And it will be over and you will win.

4. Susan Smith says

Oh, I’m so happy to hear from you Shirley! I’ve been missing you! I’m glad you are on the downhill slope of being finished with your treatment. Those arches in your new house are so pretty. And that’s a dream closet. So well thought out. Hugs from Oklahoma!

5. Denise Fuller says

Hugs from Alabama! Been there, done that! Hang in there! The end if your treatment is near and you are strong! Love, love, love your new house!! Cant wait for final pictures! 👍😘

6. Shirley,
    I love love the new home. It is coming along so nicely. All beautiful touches you are adding. I am so happy to hear you are doing well with having them take away one of the meds. This is a rough journey and any adjustments that can make tolerating all of this just a little better is wonderful. Prayers continue my friend. You are a warrior and you are half way home. On a lighter note I think my whole house would fit in your closet. Terry and I have learned to live tiny and I think we could live in your closet lol! Just think at the end of your breast cancer journey you will be moving into a gorgeous home to start a new chapter in life.
    Big Hugs,

7. Penny at Enjoying The Simple Things says

Shirley, you house is coming along wonderfully! I love all of the choices you are making. I am glad you were feeling well enough to check on the progress of your new home. Sending you prayers and gentle hugs.

8. Shirley, I am so happy that you felt well enough to post! Your beautiful decorating is always an inspiration, the pumpkins and hydrangea look divine. And your house!! It’s coming along so beautifully, and what a home it is. Everything you and Tommy have planned out is coming together in such a stunning way.

I have closet envy! I can’t wait until I hear from you that you are using your “packing station” to go on a fun trip, darling friend.

Xoxo Lidy

• So happy to see your post this morning. Glad to know you are feeling well enough to share the update. Sending prayers from Canada.

9. Martha in michigan says

Thanks for letting us know how you are. I’m sure it helps to have such supportive family and friends around–and your blog readers are praying for you, too. Your new house is going to be beautiful! It sounds like you’ve thought of everything, and I love the arches! Hugs from your birthday twin.

10. Happy to see a blog post from you. Keep getting stronger. You are still in my prayers.

11. Thanks for the update. Hickory Cottage is beautiful and I know you can hardly wait to get moved in and put your special decorating skills to work. But the best thing is you are half way through your treatments and trusting God to do the work needed in your body for healing and strength. Nothing is too hard for my God. Prayers for you.

12. Nancy Brantley says

So happy to see this email! Your vignette is pretty as always and I remember this one. Thankful you were able to see Hickory Cottage and it is going to be a beautiful home! Glad that you are half way thru the treatments. Hugs and prayers.

13. I love the copper flashing. The entire exterior of your house looks great. I also really like the arches and wood trim. Such great character! I’m glad that you are halfway through your treatment. I know it’s not easy. It’s good that you have such a great hubby and support system. I will be thinking of you and look forward to seeing the progress of your home and hearing about how you are doing.

14. Valerie Tingley says

I am so happy to hear that you are feeling better and that you’re half way through your treatments! My continued thoughts and prayers are coming your way! Your new home is absolutely stunning – thank you for sharing it!

15. Shirley, you are an inspiration my friend! I loved seeing your vignette pulled from the archives…so beautiful. I know you are so excited about Hickory Cottage, what a stunning home it will be. I definitely have closet envy, I know there will be many trips in your future. I am so glad you are feeling better. Sending love and hugs!❤️

16. Mary Stevens says

I’m so glad your doing better and half way there!! My daughter is halfway with her chemo too! Your house is looking so pretty! Won’t be long before you will be enjoying it!

17. Shirley, I get so excited when I see your posts! I know you are feeling better to be able to post them. Love your new house and can’t wait to see it after you decorate it. Something wonderful to look forward to after your treatments! Hugs and prayers for you and your family!

18. Shirley…you are in my prayers and thoughts daily🙏🏻❤️. Your new home is coming along so beautifully. I cannot wait to see it completed.

19. Shirley, I have been praying for you and your family…your home is going to be so beautiful..I love the wood trim around the archways…Take care of yourself…

20. Elaine Reese says

Glad to see your post this morning! Your vignette is lovely! Velvet pumpkins are one of my favorite things. Prayers for you and your hubby on this road you are having to travel right now. Your new home is going to be beautiful! May God continue to bless and strengthen you!

21. Oh Shirley, I am so happy to see a post from you and glad that you felt well enough to do one, AND to visit the cottage friends!!!!! That is wonderful. I hope these last rounds will be MUCH easier and better for you! Hickory Cottage is gorgeous and I LOVE your closet. I also love arches, years ago I thought I wanted to build a Spanish style house just because of the arches:) are an inspiration I can’t wait til you can get IN to HC and enjoy your beautiful new home!!!!! XO

22. It was so good to hear from you today! Right along with the Monday Blooms Gals. I know they miss you as do I!

I’m glad to hear you felt good enough to go see your gorgeous house.

I pray for you… I know you don’t know me… but God knows that my prayers for you are not only important but also heard by his army of angels that are right by your side.

Happy November!

23. Shirley, I thought of you as I was waking up this morning so I was especially pleased to see your post. Just lovely!
    I hope and pray the treatments will soon be done and you can enjoy decorating the gorgeous house you and your hubby are building. Thanks for sharing the latest with us. I can’t wait to see the Hickory Cottage completed!

24. The cottage is coming along…and so are you. Halfway through….great news. Stay strong and think positive thoughts. Have a blessed day! 😉

25. Your new home is coming along beautifully! That trim work is absolutely gorgeous, and what a glorious master closet! I love the packing station, and I wish I had one. You will be moved in before you know it! Hang in there…you are half way there. Sending prayers and hugs your way!!!

26. I love seeing this post again from the archives Shirley…give me velvet pumpkins, hydrangeas and ironstone anytime! I love seeing the progress on your new home and I’m sure you do too. Like Lidy, I have closet envy. 🙂 Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow with your 4th treatment. ♥

27. Shirley,

So wonderful to see this pop into my inbox. Sorry I’m a few days behind. Nursing one of my pups back to health.

I’m happy you’re getting there with your treatments.

Hickory Cottage is a beauty. First thing I noticed was the copper flashing. It makes a beautiful touch with the cupola.

The trim us also gorgeous.

Hang in there you’re getting there and will be filling your new home with beautiful memories.

28. Beautiful trim work and good luck with chemo round #4! Only two more after this one. Yay!!

29. It was wonderful to see you on your blog today. Your new home looks marvelous!!
    So glad you are feeling better.
    Bonnie

30. Jacquie ellsmere says

Love your gorgeous house…..but just wanted to say that I also had breast cancer….it was more tough mentally than the whole course of treatment….you have sooo much to look forward to and people near and far to love you…. YOU CAN DO IT!
    So keep smiling and dreaming of your future……love across the miles…….Jacquie.

31. 🙏🙌Many blessings your way ~ you can do this!
    Time to time I came to visit your beautiful site, your a big inspiration.
    Even know I lived in a big city and a small house WITH my three Kids and husband…..and a cat.
    I always taking ideas from you!
    This time your velvet pumpkins, love them!❤️Take care and God bless you.

32. I think you’ve done an outstanding job on Hickory Cottage. You thought of every detail…prayers as you continue your treatments. Prayers for the chemo to wipe out every trace of cancer and that you and your sweet husband get to enjoy Hickory Cottage for many, many years to come!

33. Wow! I think your new home is just spectacular! You have made so many great design choices. I am thinking and praying for you as you continue your treatments.

34. Shirley just wanted to know I was thinking about you when I saw the email and was wondering how you are doing. Keep up the good fight and my prayers are with you. On another note, the house is just gorgeous. Can’t wait to see it completed as I’m sure you can’t either. God be with you.

35. So glad to hear your treatments are almost finished. You are in my prayers daily. The house is gorgous!! The trim work is spectacular. Take care of yourself.

36. Thinking of you as you continue your treatment. The house looks beautiful!